Hemmingford, Quebec Cemetery Records
Welcome! This database has been carefully created by Garry and Jeannie Bickes. It is copyrighted and may not be reproduced in whole or in part for any commercial purpose. These records were first presented online Feb. 12, 1999 as a contribution to the 1999 Hemmingford Bicentennial.
* From 2012 to 2014 Dan Mark added 1140 new listings of unmarked or unidentifiable Catholic graves from 1845-1940 data in St-Romain (Hemmingford) Catholic church records.
Hemmingford is located in the former Huntingdon County in the southwest area of Quebec Province, about 45 minutes south of Montreal near the US border.
If this site has been of use to you in your family history research, please consider a contribution, financial or otherwise, to:
Hemmingford Historical Archives
P.O. Box 1006
Hemmingford, QC J0L 1H0
Archives research: "Hemmingford -Two Hundred Years of Hope and Challenge 1799-1999" (aussi disponible en français / also available in French)
*Contact Hemmingford Historical Archives to order the 600 page book:
"Hemmingford - 200 Years of Hope and Challenge 1799-1999" online index
The database was compiled mainly from readable gravestone inscriptions from all the following known Hemmingford and area cemeteries (which could also be called "outdoor museums"). Entries showing "no stone", "unknown stone", or if no specific stone is mentioned were taken from church records.
The cemetery records, which total over 7500, are combined and sorted by last name. Death dates range from 1808 to 1994 +.
Webmaster Dan Mark
Please sign the guestbook. All comments welcome!
Hemmingford Village and Township Cemeteries
Atkinson Cemetery (photos & notes) James Fisher Rd. (private property)
(James) Fisher Cemetery (photos & notes) James Fisher Rd.
McCrea-Kingsbury Cemetery (photos & notes) Shields Rd. (private property) (more photos)
Merlin-Kyle Cemetery (photos & notes) Fisher Rd.
Odell-McKay Cemetery (photos & notes) Lavallée Rd. (Est. min. 135 burials, only 55 known, on 20 stones)
St. Paul's Anglican Cemetery (photos & updates) Napper Rd.
Hemmingford Protestant Cemetery (*new* photos) Rt. 219 South (*These photo records are current as of mid-2013)
Hemmingford Catholic Cemetery (some photos) Rt. 219 North (behind St. Romain church)
First Catholic Cemetery (c1830-1843) Rt. 219 North (Barrington. No stones or records)
Wesley-Knox United (photos & notes) Covey Hill Rd.
Old Henrysburg Cemetery (photos & notes) Rt. 217 ("Braithwaite Cemetery" private property)
Henrysburg Methodist Cemetery (photos & notes) Rt. 15 (behind church, private property)
Jackson Cemetery (some photos) Montée Guay (Elvidge's Corners)
Bethel Cemetery (photos & notes) Covey Hill (top of hill)
Union Cemetery (photos & notes) Covey Hill (corner Covey Hill Rd. & Rt. 203)
Wesley United Cemetery (photos & notes) Covey Hill Rd.
Burtonville Cemetery Rt. 221, Lacolle
Odelltown Methodist Cemetery (photos & notes) behind Odelltown Church (private property)
Douglass (Napierville) Cemetery (photos & notes)
*new* more complete burial listing and map
Rt. 219 and Hwy. 15 (road to Napierville)
Roxham Cemetery Roxham Rd., St-Bernard-de-Lacolle
Trinity Anglican Cemetery (photos & notes) Havelock (Rt. 202 West)
St-James Anglican Church Cemetery (notes) Rt. 219, Sherrington (Behind Sherry Bar. No church or stones remain)
Click here to browse or search the database.
Cliquez ici pour consulter ou rechercher dans le base de données.
~ Useful Links ~
*new* 1824 "Statistical Statement Shewing the Progress of the Settlement in the Township of Hemingford"
(granted lots only)
- Hemmingford Census records - online and searchable:
1825 (column headings here)
1828 (Statistical Return)
1842 (Heads of households index)
1852 (Hemmingford then included Havelock Township and part of Franklin Township)
- Archives Canada latest census records
- Searchable Chateauguay Valley Protestant Church Registers, Hemmingford and area.
- 19th Century Hemmingford Catholic Church Registers. 1900 to 1911 records here. (browse images only)
- Hemmingford Area Cemeteries Google Map (Street View has photos of most cemeteries)
- Official plan of Hemmingford Village 1880, showing owners of lots and dimensions.
- Official plan of Hemmingford Township 1880, showing owners of lots and dimensions.
- SouthWest Quebec Old Placenames Web Site includes GPS coordinates for local cemeteries.
- You may view some old Hemmingford postcards at the Bibliothèque nationale du Québec.(Click on "voir les images")
- More Hemmingford images c1910 at the McCord Museum.
- 250 aerial photos of Hemmingford taken in 1979.
Sellar's History of the County of Huntingdon to 1838
(609 pages, online, searchable. *Hemmingford is spelled Hemingford in this book*)
- Reprints of "Hemmingford Then and Now" are now available.
An online index of persons mentioned in Hemmingford Then and Now is now available.
- Much more Hemmingford research material is available at the Huntingdon County GenWeb site.
Sign the Guestbook
View the Guestbook
Database updated May 27, 2014
This website sponsored by sharonmark.com Thanks Sharon!